Sunday 8 May 2011

Extreme Knitting - I'm hooked

Afternoon, another glorious sunny one here, great day to take some photos of my latest addiction, knitting.  Not the normal kind mind, I've being doing that for years.  That's not for me anymore now I do things by the extreme!  

I first stumbled across Rachel John a couple of years ago over on you tube with her video of her knitting with 1000 strands of wool challenge.  It is absolutely amazing, should go check it out.  Just sorting the wool was a mammoth task in itself.  Anyway the idea was always lurking in the back of my mind and then I saw that she had a show over on Create and Craft.  I watched it and it inspired me to have a go myself.

The beauty of this type of knitting is you can use up all of your wool stash, we all have it don't we girls.  I picked out some odd balls of wool that I thought my work together.  Using 13mm needles and 5 strands of wool I cast on 25 stitches and started knitting.  That instant I knew this was for me, boy does this grow fast.  3 hours later, yes I did say 3 hours, it was finished!  Knitting it in one piece I just sewed up 2 sides turned it inside out and put my cushion pad in and sewed up the remaining side.  I liked it but it wasn't extreme enough, I wanted to go bigger!
In my needle basket I had a pair of 20mm wooden needles that orignally purchased for display purposes, I just liked to look at them.  I dusted them down and using the same 5 strands of wool I cast on 17 stitches.  These were big needles but surprisingly easy to use.  This time I knitted in stocking stitch.
I have to say I much preferred this look and the needle size made the resulting fabric very soft and drapey.  Would be perfect for a throw.  I've taken some close ups of the stitches so you can get an idea what it looks like.

First one shows what I call the reverse side of the stocking stitch.  Even though this is meant to be the back am quite liking it.

This is what I call the right side of the fabric and is going to be the side that will show on my rectangle cushion pad.  Again I've knitted it all in once piece.

To give you an idea of size, using these 20mm needles and with 16 stitches cast on I ended up with the width of my knitting measuring approx 14 inches.  Basically each stitch knitted gives you a good 3/4" square of fabric.
 
On the left you can see the amount I knitted last night whilst watching TV for a couple of hours.

My needles are only 30cm long but on Rachel's website you can get ones that are 50cm long and would enable me to do a throw.  She also does super large cable needles, giant cable stitches, now that does appeal to me.

So what do you think, is it your style of knitting?  Have you heard of it before, have you knitted anything extreme.  Would love to hear your comments.

Thanks for popping by. xx





4 comments:

  1. Great post Lolo .... I was chatting to a lady at the CB a couple of weeks ago about this ... must give it a try and it will be a great way of using up odd balls of yarn. Thanks x

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sounds interesting!! At the moment I think I'll stick with "normal" knitting before I try something new!!

    Victoria xx

    ReplyDelete
  3. oooh when you think about all those funky wools that get put in the sale basket it makes you drool doesn't it.....

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for stopping by, I love to read everyone's comments and always try to respond to them. xx