Saturday 30 January 2010

Thrifting - it's a family affair!

What a beautiful Saturday it is here today.  Perfect blue sky and glorious sunshine, my little market town was very busy this morning.  Combination  of nice weather and everyone has been paid their month's salary!  I feel very spring like today, do you?

Onto to the thrifting.  Last weekend I took my Aunt, who was visiting with us from the States, out on some thrifty trips, hence the title to this post.  She is very like me and can spend many an hour poking around looking for hidden treasures and is extremely crafty.  So would you like to see what I found?
 
After spending far too many years in jeans I found myself recently becoming hooked on dresses to wear with my Uggs.  In this cold weather they are just the most cosiest, if not most attractive, thing to wear.  Although I have to say I personally do not find them that ugly.
Then there was this gorgeous green and red box of loveliness that caught my eye.  How could anyone give such pretties away!

The box alone is worth the money, and inside just look at all that red and white polka dot.  I could stare at this box all day long :o)
A delicate embroidered doiley, exquisite workmanship.  This is going to be put onto the front of a crisp white cushion for my bed.

There was a little street market, you know the sort, few stalls with fruit and veg and some cheap clothing, but tucked at the back was a little man selling wool and haberdashery items.  You don't see many of these stalls around now and we loved having a chat with him and a good browse through his very well priced items.

I mean Ric Rac ribbon at just 30p a metre!  The same for the double faced satin ribbon and the bias binding.
Close ups of the ric rac, it really is very good quality for the money.  The stall man is there every Saturday, think I'll be popping back.

Kids beading set.  Not sure what to do with these, might string them and use to decorate cards.
Candy stripe double sheet.  Am seeing some pillow cases, or perhaps an apron?
Lastly some wooden pegs that are already destined for my craftroom wall to display things with and also handy for holding cards out of the way when waiting for glitter and stuff to dry.

If anybody has any other ideas for my candy stripe sheet I would love to hear them.  Hope it is sunny and blue in your part of the world. x

5 comments:

  1. I need to find somewhere with affordable notions and the likes. What a sucesful trip

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a great thrifting day!! Adore those coat hangers, and that box is soooo pretty too!!
    The doily is gorgeous, and those trimmings were a fantastic price!!
    I bet your aunt had a lovely time too!
    As for the candy stripe sheet, ciuld you use some leftovers in patchwork? I think it would be really pretty with pastel florals & polka dots.
    Have a lovely Sunday : )

    Sharon xx

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great finds on your thrifting trip!

    Victoria xx

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow you did get some lovely things darling and totally adore the dress its striking
    Hugs Susie xx

    ReplyDelete
  5. You certainly found some gorgeous things!!1 I live in my Uggs this weather!!!
    xxxx

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for stopping by, I love to read everyone's comments and always try to respond to them. xx