Monday 17 August 2009

What happened to my scones Mrs Beeton?!

Now Mrs Beeton I am told was very good at baking. So when I saw a pristine copy of her book in Oxfam the other day I grabbed it. Eagerly flicking through it I looked for something I could bake and decided upon scones as I had some strawberries and cream, yum.

Look what happened. They are not scones they are thick biscuits!!! Help! What did I do wrong?

This is the recipe (click on piccie to make it bigger), followed it to the T as they say, oh apart from them being 1/4" thick instead of 1/2" thick. Would this make them so terrible? I had high expectations of these, anyone else baked from her recipe before? I did try to eat one of them but they were disgusting ;o) Oh well good for the waistline eh. xx

4 comments:

  1. Can't tell you where or if you went wrong I'm afraid but I have the exact same book that I got for Mothers Day. Some of the cakes I made went horrible wrong and I still don't know why. The only success I've had from the book is a basic victoria sponge.

    Hope you find an answer!

    Simone xx

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have this book and I love it. Everything I've made, has come out great - I have made the scones, they didn't come out as thick as hoped but they weren't as flat as yours. I put it down to me not making them the right size - hmmmmm - I'll have to make another batch and let you know what happens. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Scones are causing everyone problems at the moment. My friend Rose made some recently and expected them to get bigger but alas they didn't - thankfully they tasted good and being small meant we could have more than one!

    Victoria x

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hello sweetie, so sorry to hear about your scones... i do have a couple of little tips to help them rise lol. I always add 1 tsp of cream of tartar to the flour and i never touch or knead the dough with my hands. I mix the butter and flour with an electric mixer and cut the other ingreadients in with a knife. I then put large dollops of the mix onto a baking tray and tidy up the sides with a knife gently. Glaze the top with a little milk and then put them in the oven at 200 0c. I use 1 egg beaten in a jug and top up to 1/4 pint with ordinary milk, i dont use buttermilk. Only leave them in the oven for about 12 minutes til they are just done and i never open the oven til they are finished. If you do want to use a cutter only press down once and do not twist it or they will not rise. I always make sure the mix is about 1.5 inches thick before they go in the oven. Hope this helps a bit.
    Love n hugs
    Vikki xx

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for stopping by, I love to read everyone's comments and always try to respond to them. xx